Monday, July 7, 2014

A Good Year For Toads

One Bad Ass Toad
Day 13 (7/7/14)

Today was one of those days. It wasn't a bad day, in fact it was pretty good day. It was just one of those days that was off schedule from the start and continued to be slightly askew the rest of the day. It started out quite warm and humid so when Wade got to the house we decided to go for a walk in the yard. He was unusually snuggly so we went to swing in the sky chair we have hanging behind our house. In spite of the mother robins continued scolding Wade was soon fast to sleep. I knew this would change the dynamic of our bike ride but there is probably no grandfather alive who would wake up his sleeping grandson. So we sat and watched life go by and all was good. I eventually brought him into the house to finish his nap. At about 10:00 he woke up and we hit the road. I had to drop off our water bill at the village office before we started down the trail. In spite of the heat there was a lot of wildlife out and about. We saw two baby bunnies as soon as we got on the trail. There were very few people on the trail and it should have been a good day for building. So I was pretty excited when I pulled Wade over into a nice shady spot where he could watch me build. He was wide awake but having a good time eating his finger food and drinking his water. I went to gather some materials to build with and was immediately set on by hordes of mosquitoes. I went back to check on Wade and noticed that his cart was swarming. Fortunately none had made it inside yet but with time they would so off down the trail we went. I knew then that there would be no building today. We still had a pleasant ride and enjoyed the warm day. On the way back home we stopped to watch some baby woodchucks frolic in the shade. Finally almost at the end of the trail we came upon a large warty toad. I think he might have been the biggest one I have ever seen. He seemed totally unbothered by the warm weather as he sat on the side of the trail waiting perhaps for some unsuspecting biker. We will see what tomorrow brings.
Paying The Bills

Baby Bunnies





No comments:

Post a Comment