Sunday, October 23, 2016

Glad to be done with this job

Baseboard heater installed in the bathrrom
Day 24 (10/15/16)
I am not going to lie. I am very glad to have finished insulating the crawlspace. I had hoped to get it done last weekend and install the base board heaters but nothing ever goes quite as planed and I ended up having to finish it today. Three weekends of working in a small dark area can make a person wonder how they got involved in this project. Last weekend I did manage to get the walls finished and the heaters installed. As I have said before electricity is not my favorite avocation and I am always surprised when things actually work. I had watched a YouTube video on how to install the baseboards but when I got to the hall mine were totally different. After reading and double checking everything several times I flipped the breakers and they worked. I still had to insulate the last wall. I have been very careful to make everything as airtight as possible so I can keep my energy cost down. I hope it is worth it in the end but for now I think everything is set and all I have left to do is install a remote thermometer sending unit so I can monitor the temperatures in the crawlspace and bathroom. Perhaps next weekend I can do something more fun.
Preparing the  Baseboard Heater for the crawlspace

Preparing the crawlspace 

The Heater in Place

Finishing the Insulation

Almost Finished

All finished except some trim

Sunday, October 2, 2016

Winter is coming

Aah, Lets See
Day 23 (10/2/16)

Last weekend I started building the wall in the crawl space under the hall to insulate and keep the waterlines from freezing up. This weekend I continued with the project in spite of the rain. It was the type of rain that never came hard but it never really stopped either. At any rate it made everything very muddy. I managed to get the front wall finished which I knew was going to be a chore since it included a bump out to house the sewer line. Since the waterline runs right up along the outside wall I went to great lengths to make sure it had plenty of insulation. Including the stucco covered foam insulation on the outside; I put another layer of R19 insulation on the inside. One of the problems however is the concrete pillars that support the building. Since they are in no way square they pose a lot of interesting circumstances. I hope a lot of insulation stuffed into cracks does the trick. I had hoped to finish it all up this weekend but realistically probably have another weekends worth of work to do to get it finished and install the baseboard heaters. At his point I am pretty confident that the space should stay warm without too much energy use. While I was tucked away under the building Eileen started painting the dark blue ceiling. I think it is going to look really nice when it gets finished. It does make the hall appear lower and wider, I think. She also continued painting benches and we now have all the primary colors covered. I have to get this sewed up so I can start getting my fall work done at home.

Starting the ceiling

That should work

There is no end to painting

Or digging

More painting

and digging

The front finished except for trim

Now for some Yoga

Yellow Bench