Monday, June 1, 2009

“Dame’s Rocket” (Hesperis matronalis)

Day 11 (6/1/09)
It was another cold windy night on the trail, excellent. That means less people on the trail and perfect weather for building. I only wish I would have had more time. As it is I probably spent more time building then I should have. I decided tonight I think I could very easily spend entire days biking and building. As I said earlier in my journal part of this summer’s diary is going to be dedicated to photographing and identifying plants I see along the trail. Last night I included a picture of a field of flowers which I shot in more detail tonight. After a little investigation I believe it is a “Dame’s Rocket” (Hesperis matronalis). It is a member of the mustard family and like many invasive species they started out as an ornamental brought in from Eurasia in the 1600s. Because of there beauty and prolific nature they are often included in wildflower mixes. I started rebuilding “Island Build” tonight and am relatively excited about how it is going. I hope I can get it finished by the time it gets knocked down. I also rebuild some Cairns.

1 comment:

  1. I love the purple flowers! We saw some interesting flowers this week, my sisters and I visited Isle Royale. Unfortunately,I don't know what the names of the flowers are that we saw.

    ReplyDelete