Wednesday, April 29, 2020

Teaching Art in a Time of Social Isolation (Famous Painting Reenactment)

Student Work 1

Day 4 (4/27/20) 
You can’t get far on the internet these days without seeing people reenacting famous paintings usually with some comedic twists. I decided to get on board and make it a learning exercise. As soon as I mentioned it to my Drawing 1 students they were on board, especially since I replaced their Old Masters Drawings with it. This class has always been kind of special and the students have a real chemistry about them. When they found out that they were not going to be able to finish the year together they took it pretty hard because they looked forward to their time together. It was the perfect class to use as the pilot and they would all be able to see each other, in pictures at any rate. To make it more of a learning experience they had to research famous paintings to find one that they wanted to recreate. They then had to write a two page critique on the painting and artist. Then it was time to start recreating. Again, I emphasized the importance of good photography to the overall quality.  They were so excited that I actually received some of the images before the due date. As I expected they came up with some good ones. I am not sure how many of these assignments will make the cut once we get back into the brick and mortar but for now it is making online teaching fun.


Student Work 2

Student Work 3

Student Work 4

Student Work 5

Student Work 6

Student Work 7

No comments:

Post a Comment