It is the Sunday of Memorial weekend. I went out quite early so there were not a lot of people out. Again things had been destroyed. The one uplifting exception was that “Tripod” was still standing. I spent a little time rebuilding but our son and his wife were visiting for the weekend. I am carful not to use the term home for the weekend because it is no longer his home and more and more I question whether it will ever seem like my home. I find as I get older there seems to be a widening chasm between my perspective and that of the general community. Yesterday, I was approached while out on a walk with my daughter-in-law and there dogs by a “Concerned Citizen” (Jerk) who, “as a veteran”, was concerned that my flag was too frayed. I agree that it had been out all winter and was getting a little ragged around the edges. Once a year I go to Menards and buy a new one and to be honest I haven’t made it there yet. I also do not have a huge problem with a slightly tattered flag. To me some of the most important flags in history have been ragged. There is a certain poetry to a tattered flag. It represents something that has endured hardship but is still standing, much like our country. I guess what upsets me, however, is this persons need to meddle in my business. This is the second time that a “Concerned Citizen” has felt the need to point out an issue with my flag. The first time it was because I was flying a Norwegian flag under the U.S. flag. It turns out that when flying the flags of two or more nations they are to be on separate halyards at the same height. I used to enjoy flying the flag and, although I am not a person given to the excessive adulation of inanimate objects, I always tried to follow the proper flag etiquette as I knew it. Now, I am to the point where I just want to take it down. I will never understand people who feel the need to inflict there opinions on others. Well back to the business at hand, inflicting my sculptures on others. Today I rebuilt “Boat works” and “Dangler” and a couple of cairns. I must admit it gets a little old rebuilding every time I go out. Perhaps during the summer, when I am out there all the time, I can spend less time rebuilding and more time creating new.
Fly like an Eagle or Where's Waldo?
10 months ago
ah the dilemma you must be facing on this beautiful (at least in TR) Saturday morning - to build or to kayak. I'm guessing kayaking might win out:)
ReplyDelete